- 4 beef shanks, uncut
- 4tbs unsalted butter
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks or onions, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 8oz fire roasted red peppers, sliced
- 1 15oz can chopped tomatoes with liquid
- 1 cup water or homemade beef stock
- 2 strips of fresh lemon rind
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- salt & pepper
- Dip shanks in flour, sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Brown on both sides in olive oil and butter.
- Remove meat and saute all vegetables approx 5 min.
- Return meat back to the pot, add remaining ingredients.
- Liquids should cover meat and vegetables 2/3 of the way.
- Put Dutch Oven tightly covered in preheated oven at 300F.
- Braise 1.5 - 2 hours. Check periodically to ensure that liquid covers the meat and vegetables.
Serve meat in bowls, pour sauce on top, then sprinkle with gremolata.How to make gremolata
- ½ cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp lemon zest
Leave a Reply