Makes 4 quarts
- 3.5 to 4lbs grass fed beef bones
- 3 large organic carrots, washed, unpeeled, cut 3″ slices
- 1 organic celery bunch, cut into 3″ pieces
- 2 organic onions – can put in whole with skins, uncut
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh oregano
- 4 cloves garlic, unpeeled
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 2 tbs apple cider vinegar, unfiltered
- Cold water to fill large crock pot or stock pot
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Place bones in roasting pan and roast for 30 minutes.
- Put bones, fat drippings and remaining ingredients in the pot.
- Bring to a boil, then simmer for 24 to 72 hrs.
The longer you cook the stock, the richer it will be.
Put in refrigerator when stock is cooled. Next day you can skim off the solidified fat if desired but keep in mind that fat gives broth a lot more taste. You can freeze for future use.
Optional – filter broth through a cheese cloth to get clear liquid if using in other recipes.
- 4 beef shanks, uncut
- 4tbs unsalted butter
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2 leeks or onions, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 8oz fire roasted red peppers, sliced
- 1 15oz can chopped tomatoes with liquid
- 1 cup water or homemade beef stock
- 2 strips of fresh lemon rind
- 2 tsp fresh thyme
- salt & pepper
Prepare on the stove top in a Dutch Oven
- Dip shanks in flour, sprinkle with salt & pepper.
- Brown on both sides in olive oil and butter.
- Remove meat and saute all vegetables approx 5 min.
- Return meat back to the pot, add remaining ingredients.
- Liquids should cover meat and vegetables 2/3 of the way.
- Put Dutch Oven tightly covered in preheated oven at 300F.
- Braise 1.5 – 2 hours. Check periodically to ensure
that liquid covers the meat and vegetables.
Serve meat in bowls, pour sauce on top, then sprinkle with gremolata.
How to make gremolata
- ½ cup minced fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp lemon zest
Serve with polenta, potatoes, quinoa or crusty bread.